(urgent need for reforms and actions)
In my, probably quite unimportant opinion, the United Nations Organization needs urgent reforms to make it more efficient in avoiding wars and in increasing the prosperity of the world population.
- The VETO right within the U.N. should be cancelled. All voting should be in proportion to the contribution of each country, not one vote per country. Only countries having paid their dues in full should have votes. The same as up to now, each country should contribute the same percentage of its Gross National Product to maintain the U.N.
- The U.N. should have enough military peacekeeping and enforcement forces under its direct command to act immediately in case a war breaks out, or civil disturbances get out of hand.
- The United Nations Organization should create a Central Bank that should issue money, the "UNO". The UNO should be a second legal currency in all countries. The UNO should be backed by bonds bought by the Central Bank of the U.N. and should be absolutely stable. The U.N. Central Bank should regulate its value by sales and purchases of UNO's, so that the sum of yearly inflations in all countries as measured by UNO's should becomes zero.
- The U.N. should create laws summarizing the common parts of laws of all nations. Each law that is approved by at least 80 percent or more of the member nations, should become binding to all nations.
Actions that should be done urgently
There are some urgently needed actions that could be done without any reform to the statutes of the U.N.
- The U.N. should insist giving detailed instructions that good reasoning and judgment is taught at all levels of education. This should include:
- Thoughtful selection of objectives.
- Thoughtful selection of important actions to reach these objectives,
namely: Getting and checking information, taking into account the functions of things and organizations, thus establishing the present situation. Working out alternate plans of action based on experience or brain storms. Establishing advantages and disadvantages of each action, taking into account which actions are irreversible and what are the probable short term and long term consequences.
- Doing the best action and observing the results.
- Learning how to resolve problems that occur suddenly by comparing in detail that considered good and that considered bad.
- An investigation should be made by the U.N. to establish what is the optimum number of humans for this planet. This optimum should be the number that permits the highest standard of living, and ample space for all other species of life on this planet. The results of this investigation should be published and a reduction to these levels, by birth control, recommended.
- To reduce somewhat the differences in standard of living of the peoples on this planet, the U.N. should urge that all municipalities levy an extra 20 percent value added tax. 60 percent of this income should be divided evenly under all individuals of the municipality and the rest given to the next higher political organization. This political organization should in turn distribute 60 percent of this income evenly between its population and give the rest to the next higher organization, etc. The U.N., as the highest level, should distribute 100 percent instead of 60 percent. (Individuals below 16 years of age should receive share equal to 1/16 of the adult share multiplied by their age)
If you liked this page, please do me a favor: Tell your friends about it.
The author appreciates comments and suggestions.
For continuous reading, like a book - continue
Jump to the
e-book Contents /
Human Societies /
top of this document.